Trenton-Mercer Airport was previously referred to as Mercer County Airport until 1995. The airport began its life as an airstrip in a field in 1907. Infrastructure was put in place, and the airport opened to the public in 1929. During World War II the airport was used to test Torpedo Bombers for the US Navy.
The airport is located four miles northwest of Trenton city, the capital of New Jersey State. The main form of transportation between the airport and nearby neighbourhood is via taxi. There are also car rental facilities onsite at the terminal. There is no direct public transit to the airport, but nearby local bus services exist and West Trenton Train Station is within walking distance of the terminal.
The airport has a small, single terminal which contains basic passenger facilities – including a pub style restaurant, a shop and an observation lounge. There are plans to develop the airport’s infrastructure, including building a new passenger terminal expected to be five times the size of the existing one. There are two runways at the airport, with flights operating between 06:00 and 00:00. The airport is ideal for those flying private, due to the low amount of aircraft traffic.