Airports with the most beautiful landings in the world
There are few experiences more rewarding for aviation nuts and travel junkies than watching the landscape come into view as you plunge through the clouds in the final stages of your journey. Of course, some airports are more beautiful than others. Here we’ve identified six of the most beautiful airport landings around the world.
Making the most of the window seat
The window seat is prime position for aviation passengers, as they savour the view of their destination materialising through the clouds. Admire the intricacy of city design, the magnitude of world-renowned architecture or the beauty of the surrounding landscape. Some airport landings truly are a sight to behold, with slick terminal designs continuing to usher in that holiday feeling once you land. Join us for a look at the most beautiful airport landings in the world.
Choosing an airport
Some destinations have two airports on either side of the main city, with airport location and design being popular determining factors for passengers when booking their flights. Depending on the position and layout of the terminal, nothing quite beats seeing your travel destination with a bird's eye as the runway approaches. Here are some of the world's best landing experiences:
- London City Airport, England: The only airport situated in central London offers excellent views of the city architecture and parks, plus iconic landmarks including the River Thames, Canary Wharf, Big Ben and Tower Bridge. Featuring a single terminal building to the east of runway 09, the airport is open to both private and commercial aviation, with the runway suitable for a wide variety of aircraft types.
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada: Voted the best airport in North America in 2016, this island-based airport affords beautiful views of the Toronto skyline and Lake Ontario; including Toronto’s largest building, the CN Tower. The airport is excellently designed, with a passenger terminal offering a number of dining and shopping options and an airport lounge offering complimentary coffee, tea and soft drinks along with light snacks for VIP travellers.
- Gibraltar International Airport, Gibraltar: The design of this runway is somewhat unique; it’s built on excavated rock from the Rock of Gibraltar and extends over the ocean. The island's main road intersects the runway, so traffic is stopped for landings and take-offs. Arriving passengers can enjoy views of the Rock of Gibraltar, with glimpses of Europe and North Africa as you descend.
- Queenstown Airport, New Zealand: One of the world’s most scenic landings offers beautiful views of the snowy Southern Alps, Lake Wakatipu and rolling green fields as you approach. New Zealand’s fourth busiest airport has a single terminal building and runway. The terminal building has been extended several times since the 1990s, with a recent expansion to International Departures in 2015.
- Oranjestad Airport, Aruba: There’s nothing quite like the experience of circling an island destination. You’ll be able to see Aruba in its entirety, taking in stunning vistas of rolling countryside, turquoise ocean and white-sand beaches. The airport’s private terminal offers a shop, lounge, complimentary refreshments and Wi-Fi.
- Princess Juliana Airport, Saint Martin: Arguably the most photographed in the world, this airport’s legendary runway approach sees aircraft fly a few meters above bathers on Maho Beach. There’s a small general aviation area with lounge for anyone flying in on a business jet. After landing, head back to Maho Beach to watch the next flight touch down.
If you’re interested in chartering a private jet to enjoy one of these beautiful airport landings, speak to our team online or call us on + 44 (0)20 8339 8588 for more information or a personalised quote. Then all you need to do is make sure you nab a window seat!